- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces smoked trout fillet, flaked
- Baby greens or pea shoots, for serving (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Heat the olive oil in an ovenproof pot over medium heat. Add the onion and thyme and cook until the onion is slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook, stirring, until glossy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until it's absorbed, about 1 minute. Add 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste.
Pour the broth and 1 1/2 cups water over the rice and bring to a simmer, about 4 minutes. Stir, then cover and transfer to the oven. Bake 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Meanwhile, cook the peas in 4 cups salted boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain.
Remove the rice from the oven. Stir in the peas, 1 tablespoon horseradish, the parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in enough of the reserved cooking water until the rice is creamy. Divide among bowls. Top with the trout, the remaining tablespoon horseradish, and baby greens, if desired. Drizzle with olive oil.
Per serving: Calories 370; Fat 16 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol 63 mg; Sodium 925 mg; Carbohydrate 29 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 2 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos