Antipasto Platter With Grilled Vegetables
- For the Vegetables:
- 1 lemon, halved
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound baby artichokes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs (oregano, parsley, basil and thyme)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato juice
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered
- For the Platter:
- 1/4 pound parmigiano- reggiano cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 pound taleggio cheese and/or fresh goat cheese
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced cured meats ( prosciutto, mortadella and/or salami)
- 1/4 cup olive tapenade
- 1 loaf artisanal bread, sliced
Prepare the artichokes: Fill a saucepan with water; squeeze in the lemon juice. Add the squeezed lemon halves to the water and season with salt.
Cut off and discard the top one-quarter of each artichoke with a serrated knife. Snap off the tough outer leaves. Peel the stem and base with a paring knife. Halve the artichokes lengthwise and drop into the saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil, then uncover, reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the artichokes sit in the hot liquid until just tender, 5 to 10 minutes; drain.
Whisk the olive oil, both vinegars, the sugar, herbs, garlic and tomato juice in a bowl. Put the artichokes and bell peppers in another bowl; drizzle with the vinegar mixture and let marinate 10 to 20 minutes.
Assemble the platter: Arrange the cheeses, cured meats, tapenade, artichokes and bell peppers on a board or platter. Serve with the bread.
Photograph by Lisa Shin
Thank you! your flag was submitted.