Beef with Pizzaiola Sauce
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 55 min
- 20 min
- 40 min
- 55 min
- 6 to 8 servings, depending on size of beef shoulder
- 1 1/2 to 2 pound beef shoulder
- 2 tablespoons Irvine Spices Smokey Rotisserie Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Irvine Spices Garlic Pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and sliced julienne
- 1 green bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and sliced julienne
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil leaves
- 2 teaspoon freshly chopped oregano leaves
- 1 large can (29 to 32-ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup pepperoncini from a jar, for garnish
DirectionsFor the beef: For the sauce:
Rinse beef shoulder to remove any unwanted smells, pat dry with paper toweling, and place on a utility platter. In a small bowl, make the rub for the beef by combining Smokey Rotisserie Seasoning and Garlic Pepper. Rub the seasonings into all surfaces of the beef, cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and set aside for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours at room temperature. (The seasonings will actually begin to "cure" the meat.)For the sauce:
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan and cook the onions, garlic, and red and green peppers until the onions begin to turn translucent and the peppers begin to soften, being careful not to burn the garlic. Stir in the parsley, basil, and oregano. Add the crushed tomatoes and bay leaf. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In an oven proof skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over high heat, and sear all sides of beef. Cover pan (with lid or foil) and transfer to oven to finish, bringing to an internal temperature of 115 degrees F, on an instant-read thermometer, for medium-rare (about 30 minutes). Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
Slice beef into steaks, and transfer to serving dish. Reheat pizziola sauce if necessary, remove bay leaf, and spoon over meat. Garnish with the pepperoncini.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.