Cheddar Onion Bangers and Mash with Guinness Essence
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
- 2 pounds English or Irish sausage
- 24 ounces Guinness beer
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded white Cheddar
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Tobacco onions:
- 3 to 4 liters canola oil, as needed for deep-frying
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 white onion sliced thin
DirectionsFor the bangers:
Heat grapeseed oil over medium-high heat in a saute pan with a lid. Sear sausage on all sides. Add beer and onion to pan, turn heat down to low and braise until sausage is cooked through, about 50 minutes.
For the mash:
For the tobacco onions:
Heat deep-fryer to 375 degrees F or as directed by manufacturer for similar foods.
Make the tobacco onions, by combining flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Dust onions with mixture and deep-fry until crispy. Drain on paper towels.
Slice sausage on the bias. Spoon some mashed potatoes in the center of serving plate. Top with sausage and tobacco onions. Serve with some braising liquid.