Chicken Tikka Masala
- Marinade and Chicken:
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon ginger juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 pounds chicken, breasts and thighs, diced small
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno or Scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Chopped green onions and cilantro, for garnish
- Special equipment: fourteen to sixteen 6-inch skewers
For the marinade and chicken: In a bowl, blend the yogurt, lemon juice, cayenne, cumin, gingers, cinnamon, salt as needed and pepper. Once well mixed, add the chicken and allow the meat to marinate for at least 30 minutes. Do not over marinate.
For the sauce: Melt the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute the garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with cumin, salt and paprika. Stir in the tomato puree, heavy cream and sour cream. Simmer on low heat until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
Prepare a grill to medium-high heat.
Thread the chicken on the skewers. Grill the chicken on the first side for 3 to 4 minutes, then flip and repeat cooking on the second side. Once cooked on the second side, brush both sides with the prepared sauce. Allow the sauce to warm and then serve, garnishing with greens of choice.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.