City of Lights Salad Nicoise
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 red potatoes, scrubbed well, cut into 1-inch wedges, boiled until tender and allowed to cool
- 1 pound haricots verts, trimmed, steamed until just tender but still bright green and allowed to cool
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves (about 1-ounce)
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tuna, drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 hard boiled eggs (peeled while warm) and allowed to cool, cut into 4 wedges lengthwise
Prepare the salad dressing just before use. Add vinegar, apple juice, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper 1 at a time through the feed opening of a running blender. Then, leaving the blender running, add the olive oil in a slow steady stream.
Cut the potatoes into 1/4-inch thick slices and add to a mixing bowl. Slice the green beans into 3/4 to 1-inch lengths and add to the potatoes. Fold in parsley and tuna. Toss gently with enough dressing to coat and top with wedges of hard boiled egg.
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine with Brian O'Reilly, Harper Collins Publishers, copyright 2007.