- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning (recommended: Old Bay Seasoning)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot juice or powder
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 pound lump crab, picked
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the egg, seafood seasoning, mayonnaise, breadcrumbs, ginger juice or powder, hot sauce, lemon juice, and oil. Add the crab and blend into the mixture, being careful not to break up the lumps of meat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Portion the crab into 2-ounce cakes and lightly dust with flour. Heat a skillet over medium heat with the oil. Add the cakes and saute until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook on the second side until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat the process until all the cakes have been cooked.
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine, Robert Irvine's Eat!