Marinated Cod on Crouton
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (about 1/2-ounce ginger root, scraped with the tip of a spoon)
- 2 to 3 scallions, minced
- 1 cup honey (acacia, or your choice of honey)
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 6 cod fillets (6 to 7 ounces each)
- 1 baguette loaf
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 scallions (white and tender green parts only), minced
- 2 teaspoons drained sweet pickle relish
- 1 -ounce black caviar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Combine the garlic, ginger, scallions, honey, soy sauce, grapeseed oil and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Marinate the fish fillets in this mixture for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight, refrigerated.
Transfer the cod and marinade to a shallow pan and slowly poach the fish over low heat until it is fork tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
Slice the baguette into 18 pieces and lay out on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Remove fish to a utility platter and flake. Transfer flaked cod to a strainer set over a bowl to drain excess moisture. Discard this excess liquid and put the flaked cod into the bowl.
Put the cod on the crouton and place in oven until the fish has a golden brown hue. Remove from oven and garnish with each appetizer with 1/8 teaspoon caviar and a small amount of parsley before serving.
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved