Marinated Cod on Crouton
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (about 1/2-ounce ginger root, scraped with the tip of a spoon)
- 2 to 3 scallions, minced
- 1 cup honey (acacia, or your choice of honey)
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 6 cod fillets (6 to 7 ounces each)
- 1 baguette loaf
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 scallions (white and tender green parts only), minced
- 2 teaspoons drained sweet pickle relish
- 1 -ounce black caviar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Combine the garlic, ginger, scallions, honey, soy sauce, grapeseed oil and vinegar in a mixing bowl. Marinate the fish fillets in this mixture for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight, refrigerated.
Transfer the cod and marinade to a shallow pan and slowly poach the fish over low heat until it is fork tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
Slice the baguette into 18 pieces and lay out on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Remove fish to a utility platter and flake. Transfer flaked cod to a strainer set over a bowl to drain excess moisture. Discard this excess liquid and put the flaked cod into the bowl.
In another small bowl, combine mayonnaise, scallions and relish to make a tartar sauce. Gently fold this tartar sauce into the flaked fish to help bind it.
Put the cod on the crouton and place in oven until the fish has a golden brown hue. Remove from oven and garnish with each appetizer with 1/8 teaspoon caviar and a small amount of parsley before serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.