Red Sauce Base - Marinara
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced or minced
- 2 cups minced or grated carrots
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced thyme
- 120 ounces canned whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and heat. Add the onions and garlic to the pan, cooking until the onions have softened. Next, add the carrots, stir, and then add the wine to deglaze. Next, reduce the heat to medium and add the thyme, cooking for an additional 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and juices, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Finally, add the basil and continue to cook over low heat, 20 to 30 minutes. Taste to season and remove from the heat.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.