Refried Beans: Frijoles Refritos
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 45 min
- 15 min
- 2 hr 30 min
- 8 servings
- 1 pound dried pinto beans, picked over for stones and impurities
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, lightly crushed with the side of a knife blade, and minced
- 1 tablespoon Mexican chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves or minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
In a large stockpot, bring the beans to a boil in 8 cups water. Let boil for 15 minutes and skim off any scum that rises to the surface. Drain beans in a colander and rinse. Wash out the pot and return the beans to the pot with 8 cups fresh water. Bring to a simmer, cover and let cook until tender, about 2 hours over low heat.
In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer. Add onion and garlic and saute until the onion turns translucent. Add chili powder, salt, and pepper, and cook for a few minutes to allow flavors to integrate. Drain beans and add to pan, mashing the ingredients together. Heat through and serve with minced cilantro or minced parsley sprinkled on top.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.