Rice Pilaf with Figs
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup jasmine or basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- Few grinds fresh black pepper
- Pinch allspice
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- Pinch salt
- 6 fresh figs, stemmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds, chopped
Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in the rice and saute for 2 minutes, stirring a few times.
Bring the mixture to a boil, and then lower the heat. Cover and simmer until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. If the water cooks out of the rice too quickly, you can add a little more, and then re-cover until cooked.
Uncover the rice and fluff with a fork, being careful not to mash the figs. Plate, top with chopped almonds, and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine