- 2 sheets frozen pastry dough, thawed
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 tablespoon milk, for egg wash
- 3 cups spinach, sauteed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 pound freshly sliced mushrooms sauteed and patted dry
- 1 (3 to 4-pound) side of salmon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
Roll out 2 pastry sheets to 1/2-inch thickness and set aside in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to rest prior to assembly. (This will make it easier to handle). At this time preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
Season the salmon with salt and pepper and top with the chopped eggs and sliced raw onion.
Place the other pastry sheet on top of the salmon and press the 2 sheets together so they seal tightly (the whole thing should look like a parcel). Egg wash the top and sprinkle with little salt. Transfer the salmon to a sheet pan and place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes check internal temperature by placing an instant-read thermometer into the center of the salmon. When it reads 125 degrees F remove from the oven and allow to rest for a further 10 minutes. It will continue to cook for a further 20 minutes or so.
Transfer salmon to a cutting board and using a serrated knife, slice into 2-inch pieces. Place on a serving platter and enjoy.
2009, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay