Sweet Potato Mash
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes or yams, (approximately 4 to 6 yams or about 12 sweet potatoes
- depending on size) peeled and cut into 1 to 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks or 3/4 pound) butter, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup cream, as needed to achieve desired consistency
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
These potatoes can be steamed to preserve more of the flavor and vitamins (or boiled if you wish), until tender. (To steam them, you can place them in a single layer on a rack placed over a large shallow pan of water with a large pot lid to cover. Replenish water in pan if it boils off before they are tender.)
Place the tender potatoes in a large bowl and mash by hand with a masher or fork. Then, using a beater, whip in butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and enough cream to achieve your desired consistency. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved.