Tourtiere (Meat Pie)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 pound pork loin, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 pound sirloin, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound venison, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 cup small diced celery, (2 or 3 stalks)
- 1 cup small diced carrots, (3 or 4 carrots)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, (1 or 2 cloves)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced small
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (9 inch) rounds prepared pie crust
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
Combine salt, pepper, cinnamon, allspice, parsley, and thyme in a large bowl. Stir in red wine to make a marinade. Add meat the cubes and coat the meat thoroughly, using your hands if necessary to make sure all meat is covered by the marinade mixture. Cover and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
To a medium pot heat olive oil and add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic and stir using a wooden spoon until soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add potatoes to the pot, stirring briefly, then add meat and brown slightly, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and add chicken broth. Simmer for about 30 minutes, remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Place pie onto a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes until crust is golden brown. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.