Wild Field Greens and Vine Ripened Tomatoes with Warm Hazelnut Forest Dressing
- 1 -ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Ingredients for salad:
- 3 large beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 cups mixed fresh greens such as frisee and red leaf lettuce, soaked in salt water to remove grit, dried in a salad spinner and torn into small pieces
- 2 romaine hearts, leaves separated
Break or chop mushrooms into 1/4-inch pieces and cover with 1/4 cup warm water. Let sit for 30 minutes to rehydrate. Strain mushrooms, reserving soaking liquid in a small bowl. Rinse mushrooms and set aside. Strain soaking liquid through a paper towel into a small pot and reduce by half over medium heat.
Combine hazelnut oil, walnut oil and olive oil in a small bowl. Combine vinegar, shallot, chives and salt and pepper in a separate medium mixing bowl and whisk in warm soaking liquid. Continue whisking and add oil in a slow thin stream to emulsify.
Lay out slices of tomato. Top with salad greens and mushrooms. Drizzle with warm dressing and top with 2 small romaine leaves.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.