Roasted Turkey with Artichoke-Sausage Stuffing
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms, button or cremini
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 loaf bread (French or Italian baguette or artisan bread), cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 to 6 cups cubed)
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or more as needed
- 1 turkey (about 12 pounds), giblets removed and discarded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped rosemary leaves
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add sausage and cook 3 to 5 minutes, until browned and cooked through, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, and poultry seasoning and cook 3 minutes, until mushrooms soften. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add bread cubes, artichoke hearts, cheese, parsley, and 1 1/2 cups broth. Toss to combine, allowing liquid to soften bread cubes. If stuffing seems dry, add more broth to soak cubes.
Season turkey all over with salt and black pepper. Place turkey in a large roasting pan and season the top and sides with thyme and rosemary.
Loosely stuff bread mixture into turkey (place any leftover in a shallow baking dish).
Place turkey in oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Roast turkey 20 minutes per pound, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 180 to 185 degrees F. Bake extra stuffing alongside for 30 minutes. Let turkey stand 10 minutes before carving. Serve 1/2 of the carved turkey with all of the stuffing. Reserve remaining turkey (about 2 to 3 cups shredded) for the empanadas.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Roasted Turkey with Fried Pecan-Bourbon Glaze, Roasted Turkey with Papaya-Cranberry Salsa, Roasted Turkey Rubbed with Roasted Jalapeno, Fresh Sage & Orange Butter, Teriyaki Recipes, For a Family, Turkey Breast Recipes, Beef Tenderloin Recipes, Sausage, Andouille Sausage Recipes