Stuffed Squash with Herbed Goat Cheese
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup quick cooking barley
- 2 acorn squash (about 1 1/2 pounds each), halved crosswise and seeded
- 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- Salt and pepper, optional
- 4 tablespoons crumbled herbed goat cheese
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Heat the chicken stock in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the barley and simmer until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Scoop the seeds from each squash half and place, cut sides up, in a microwave-safe baking dish. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 5 minutes, or until flesh is tender.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, green pepper and saute 3 minutes. Add sage, salt and pepper, to taste, and cooked barley and stir to coat. Cook, stirring constantly, until chicken is cooked through and mixture is well-combined.
Spoon barley mixture into each halved squash. Transfer stuffed squash to a foil-lined baking sheet or a baking dish and top with goat cheese. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned.
Copyright 2005, Robin Miller, All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray