Sammy's Italian Meatballs
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 5 pounds Italian ground sausage
- 5 pounds ground beef, 80/20 blend
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 4 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Serving suggestions: marinara sauce, spaghetti and/or sub roll
In a saute pan over medium-high heat, cook the diced onions and canola oil until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Place the ground sausage, beef, breadcrumbs, cream, cheese, mustard, oregano, thyme, eggs and some salt and pepper in large mixing bowl. Add the sauteed onions to the bowl and mix the ingredients by hand, until completely incorporated.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Form the meatball mixture by hand into balls slightly larger than a golf ball, repeat for the remaining meat. Place all the meatballs on a sheet pan and cook until fully cooked throughout, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Drain all excess grease and let the meatballs cool. Serve alone with some marinara sauce, with spaghetti and marinara or in a meatball sub sandwich.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.