- 1 (1 1/2-pound) beef chuck steak, sliced into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 carrots, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 2 stalks celery, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced ginger root
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 (16-ounce) package lo mein noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
To the same pan the beef was cooked in, add the carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, ginger, garlic, and broccoli and stir-fry until slightly tender but not soft, about 3 minutes. Remove half the vegetables and reserve for the online round 2 recipe: Cold Noodle Salad. Add the beef back to the skillet along with half of the hoisin sauce, and toss to coat the beef. Reserve half of the lo mein noodles for the round 2 recipe: Cold Noodle Salad. Arrange the remaining half of the lo mein noodles on a serving platter and top with the beef stir-fry.
Hoisin Sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk all the sauce ingredients until well blended. Add half to the stir-fry and save the remaining half for the next time you make a stir-fry. The extra hoisin sauce will last up to 2 weeks in a sealed container stored in the refrigerator.
Use the leftovers from this recipe to make Cold Noodle Salad.