Holiday Short Ribs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 9 bone-in beef short ribs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into large chunks
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and quartered
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, stems and leaves separated
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- One 12-ounce bottle or can dark stout beer, such as Guinness
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil. Sprinkle the short ribs with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, brown the short ribs, in batches, until they are browned on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
While the short ribs are browning, place a layer of carrot and onion pieces into the bottom of a slow cooker and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the browned meat on top. Add the remaining carrots and onions along with the parsnips and turnips. Tie together the rosemary and thyme with the parsley stems, and add them to the pot along with the mustard and Worcestershire. Pour over the stout, and then add enough water to almost cover the contents. Cover and cook on low until the meat is very tender, 6 to 8 hours.
To serve, carefully remove the meat and vegetables from the slow cooker. Strain the juices. Skim off the fat and reserve 2 cups of the juices and 1 short rib for Round 2 Recipe Braised Beef and Mushroom Soup if desired. Serve the rest of the ribs with the remaining juice and garnish with chopped parsley leaves.
Recipe copyright Sandra Lee, 2011
Recipe courtesy of Herb Mesa