Round 2 Recipe: Chicken Cacciatore
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chicken legs and thighs reserved from Chicken Pot Pies recipe
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper, large dice
- 2 cups soup reserved from Tomato Soup recipe
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, reserved from Chicken Pot Pies recipe
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
In a large bowl or resealable plasic bag, add the flour, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning and salt and pepper, to taste. Combine well, then add the chicken and toss to coat.
In a large high-sided skillet with a lid, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Shake off excess flour from the chicken and fry in the oil until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate and reserve.
To the pan, add the mushrooms and bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes, until slightly softened. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, the tomato soup, and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and add the reserved chicken. Cover with a lid and cook until the chicken is completely cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the lid 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time, to reduce the sauce slightly. Transfer the cacciatore to a serving platter, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee