ROUND 2 RECIPE - Hawaiian Pizza
- 1 (1-pound) bag refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 cup leftover Hawaiian sauce from Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwiches recipe
- 1/2 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks, leftover from sweet and sour chicken skewers
- 1/2 cup leftover Hawaiian Pulled Pork
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cilantro, garnish
- Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwiches:
- 1 packet teriyaki marinade (recommended: McCormick Grill Mates)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds pork shoulder
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1 (6-ounce) can pineapple juice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 8 hamburger rolls
- Hawaiian Sauce:
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- Sweet and Sour Chicken Skewers:
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks, juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken boneless thighs about four thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Lightly oil a medium sized baking sheet. Roll or stretch dough to fit into oiled pan.
Place in oven and bake for 8 minutes.
Remove from oven and evenly coat with the Hawaiian sauce leaving a 1 inch border from the edge of the dough. Top with leftover pulled pork, pineapple chunks and sprinkle with cheese. Scatter the top with the onion and season salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake for about 20 minutes until the cheese has melted and the crust turns golden brown. Garnish with fresh cilantro. Slice and serve.Hawaiian Sauce:
In small bowl, combine teriyaki mix, paprika and pepper.
Coat the pork the with rub mixture, patting until all rub is used. Set aside.
In a bowl whisk together the chicken broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, chili sauce and pineapple juice. Set aside.
Put the chopped onions and carrots in a 5-quart slow cooker. Place the pork on top of the carrots and onions and pour half of the pineapple juice mixture over pork. Reserve remainder for Hawaiian sauce. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. The meat should fall apart easily. Remove the roast from the slow cooker to a cutting board. Using 2 forks carefully pull the meat into shreds. Serve the pork on rolls drizzled with the Hawaiian sauce or on the side for dipping. Reserve the remaining pulled pork for the Round 2 Recipes, Pulled Pork Pot Stickers and Hawaiian Pizza.
In a medium pot heat the oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining pineapple juice mixture, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside..Sweet and Sour Chicken Skewers:
Put the vinegar, sugar, reserved pineapple juice and cornstarch slurry into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Reserve half of the sauce in a small serving bowl to be used as a dipping sauce alongside the skewers.
Quarter the red pepper and remove the core and seeds. Slice each quarter into 6 pieces. Cut each chicken thigh into 6 pieces.
Preheat a grill pan or an outdoor grill to medium heat.
On each of the 8 skewers, place 1 chunk of pineapple, then a piece of chicken thigh, followed by a piece of red pepper. Repeat with another piece of pineapple then chicken, then red pepper. Season skewers with salt and pepper, to taste. Grill the skewers on oiled grill, cooking for 4 minutes on each side. Brush the sweet and sour sauce all over the skewers and grill and additional 2 minutes per side. Remove to a serving dish and serve with the reserved sweet and sour sauce, for dipping.
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee