Sandra's Shanghai Lobster
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut in half
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- 4 frozen lobster tails
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- One 8-ounce bottle clam juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- Crispy Fried Spinach, for garnish, recipe follows
- Crispy Fried Spinach:
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- One 6-ounce bag fresh baby spinach
- Kosher salt
Fill a pot large enough to hold the lobster tails with water. Add the salt, pepper, celery, onion and thyme, and bring to a boil. Add the lobster tails. When the pot returns to a boil, remove the tails and set them aside. They will not be fully cooked but will finish cooking in the sauce.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until soft. Add the wine and cook until it is reduced by half. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add the clam juice and cook until it is reduced by half, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the coconut milk, cream and soy sauce, and then bring to a simmer. Add the lobster tails to the pan. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the lobster; set aside and keep warm. Turn the heat to medium-low and cook until the liquid is thickened and reduced by half, 6 to 8 minutes. Taste, and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.Crispy Fried Spinach:
In a deep fryer or a Dutch oven filled about halfway with oil over medium-high heat, bring the oil to 375 degrees F.
While the oil is heating, look through the spinach leaves and pick off any tough stems. Gently drop a small handful of leaves into the hot oil. Be careful as the oil will splatter. Cook for about 30 seconds, turning once, and remove leaves to paper towel lined plates to drain. Season with salt. Serve as soon as possible.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.