Shortcake with Mascarpone and Brandied Apricots
- 1 (8-ounce) package mascarpone cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) container extra-creamy whipped topping
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 package individual dessert sponge cakes
- 1 can apricot halves in heavy syrup, syrup reserved
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- Toasted slivered almonds, for garnish
In a large bowl, whisk mascarpone cheese to loosen. Add half of a container of whipped topping, almond extract, salt and lemon zest. Stir to combine.
Fill each sponge cake with cheese mixture. In a small saucepan over high heat, combine reserved apricot syrup and brandy, reduce until thick. Add apricot halves. Spoon apricot mixture over each sponge cake. Garnish with remaining whipped topping and toasted almond slivers.
NOTE: If sponge cakes are not available, use sliced pound cake.