Sweet Potato and Bacon Hush Puppies
- Creamy Honey Mustard Dip:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup honey mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Hush Puppies:
- Canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 (8.5-ounce) box corn bread or muffin mix (recommended: Jiffy)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup frozen chopped onions, thawed and drained
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree
- 1/4 cup cooked crumbled bacon (about 4 strips)
For the hushpuppies: Fill a medium heavy-bottomed pot with enough oil to come 1/3 of the way up the sides. Place over medium heat.
In a large bowl, mix together the corn bread mix, cornmeal, onions, eggs, sweet potato puree and bacon until well combined. When the oil reaches 350 degrees F, carefully drop the batter by the heaping tablespoonful into the oil using 2 spoons or a small ice cream scoop. Fry in batches until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on a tray lined with paper towels. Serve immediately with creamy honey mustard dip on the side.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.