- 3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup finely chopped apricots
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 cups cranberries, picked over and chopped in a food processor
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat in the orange zest and eggs, 1 at a time. Add the orange juice and milk and beat until mixed thoroughly. It will appear curdled.
Add the flour mixture and beat until it is just moistened. Stir in the apricots, walnuts, and cranberries.
Place baking rack in middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour 5 (5 3/4 by 2 1/4-inch loaf pans.
Pour the batter into the pans. Bake for 45 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick - it should come out clean. Remove the bread from the pans, transfer to a wire rack, and let them cool on their sides.
Cook?s note: These breads, wrapped well in aluminum oil and plastic wrap, keep for 1 week in the refrigerator or frozen for a month.