- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, preferably reduced-fat
- 1/2 cup sour cream, preferably reduced fat
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon small rinsed capers
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Hot red pepper sauce
- 2 romaine hearts, trimmed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 celery ribs, sliced into 1/8-inch-thick pieces
- 1 medium sweet red or yellow pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, blanched in boiling water for 2 minutes, drained, and rinsed
- 1 seedless cucumber, sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
Layer the vegetables in a large glass bowl in the following order: romaine, tomatoes, carrots, celery, red pepper, and corn. Arrange overlapping slices of the cucumber on top. Spread the dressing over the cucumbers.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 8 hours. Just before serving, toss well.