Seared Sesame Scallops and Teriyaki Steak with Seared Cabbage Salad
- 2 inches ginger root, grated
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 4 (6 to 7-ounce) flat iron steaks or tri tip steaks 1-inch thick
- 1 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
- Vegetable oil, for drizzling plus 3 tablespoons
- 12 sea scallops
- 4 to 5 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 4 to 5 tablespoons chopped chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 small napa cabbage chopped into 1 1/2-inch dice
- 1 red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch sticks then 2 to 3-inch pieces
- 1 to 3 tablespoons Asian hot chili sauce or hot sauce, to your taste
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
Combine the ginger and teriyaki in a shallow dish. Rub steaks with a little grill seasoning and turn in teriyaki sauce and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat. Wipe pan with a thin layer of vegetable oil.
Pat scallops dry. Combine the sesame and chives and roll the sides of the scallops in the mixture. Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Sear scallops and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side to caramelize them. Remove scallops to a plate and drizzle with sesame oil and serve.
Heat a large skillet with a couple tablespoons vegetable oil over high heat. Add steaks and cook 4 minutes on each side for medium rare. Remove and let steaks set 5 minutes. Add the cabbage to the pan and stir fry 2 minutes then add in the onions, garlic, cook a minute or 2, add cucumbers and hot sauce, salt and pepper, vinegar and zest of 1 lime and juice of 2 limes.
Slice steaks very thin on an angle and serve on hot 'n spicy cabbage salad, garnish with cilantro.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2007