Spice Double Rubbed Rib Eye Steak Served with Ruedas de Fuego
- 4 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 4 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 4 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 4 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 8 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 6 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 4 (16-ounce) rib-eye steaks
- 1 (6-ounce) can chipotle adobo
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 poblanos, sliced into rings
- 2 red onions, sliced into rings
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Toast and grind the cumin, coriander, fennel, and mustard seeds. Combine these with the oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Divide the spice mixture into 2 equal parts. Rub both sides of each steak with olive oil and then rub each steak generously with one half of the spice mix and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in pan. Cook the steak for approximately 2 to 3 minutes on each side; then finish off in the oven for approximately 4 minutes.
Heat up a pan with about 1-inch of oil. Mix the remaining spice mix into 1 cup flour. While the steaks are in the oven, dip the poblano and the onion rings in the buttermilk, and then dip into the seasoned flour. Fry the rings in the heated oil, turning the rings on both sides until golden brown.
Arrange the steaks on a serving platter and top off with the onion and poblano rings.
Recipe courtesy Alex Garcia