Spicy Shrimp and Grits with Andouille Sausage Red Eye Gravy
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 ounces andouille sausage, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 4 large shallots, medium dice
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Creole or Cajun spice mix
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cheesy Grits, recipe follows
- Green onions, chopped, for garnish
- Cheesy Grits:
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the andouille sausage, shallots, garlic and 1 teaspoon Creole spice mix and cook until the shallots become translucent and the sausage browns, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add the chicken stock, coffee, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce to the skillet and bring to a boil. Add the butter, reduce the heat and simmer until reduced by one-third. Add the shrimp and remaining teaspoon Creole spice mix and simmer until the shrimp are just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes.
Divide the cheesy grits among bowls and top with the shrimp and red eye gravy. Garnish with the green onions.Cheesy Grits:
Combine the milk, butter, salt, pepper and 2 1/2 cups water in a 4-quart saucepan over high heat. Just before the mixture comes to a boil, slowly add the grits, stirring constantly to avoid clumps. Turn the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the Cheddar until completely melted. Adjust seasoning if necessary. If the grits are a little thick, add more water until the desired consistency is reached. Cover and keep warm.
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.