Spicy Tortilla Soup
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 (32-ounce) boxes or cans low-sodium chicken broth
- Chicken bones, reserved from Day 2
- 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 medium jalapenos, sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 ears grilled corn, reserved from Day 1
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 8 ounces crumbled feta, queso fresco, or other fresh white cheese
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut tortillas into 1/2-inch-thick strips and arrange them on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Bake them 5 to 10 minutes, or until crispy.
In a large saucepan, bring the chicken broth and chicken bones to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Place a colander over a second large saucepan and strain the broth through it. When the bones are cool enough to handle, pick off the remaining meat and add it to the strained broth. Stir in the onion, tomatoes, jalapenos, and lime juice. Heat about 5 minutes more to blend flavors.
Cut the corn from the cobs and add it to the soup. Divide the baked tortilla strips among 4 bowls. Ladle in the soup and serve with bowls of cilantro leaves, cubed avocado, and crumbled cheese to use as toppings at the table.