Steak with Smothered Caramelized Onion (Bistec Encebollado)
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin, choice grade, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Dash dried oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoons adobo seasoning (equal parts garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin, and salt)*, divided
- 2 large white onions, sliced in rings
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- *Cook's Note: You can use store-bought without MSG.
Cut beef tenderloin into 3-ounce medallions and pound to form scaloppini.
In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic, oregano, and 2 tablespoons adobo. Add the meat, stirring to coat evenly. Place in the refrigerator and let marinate for at least 12 hours.
In a saute pan, heat the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until golden brown. Add vinegar, chicken stock, and butter, and let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with 1 tablespoon adobo, or more to taste. Keep warm.
In another large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add beef scaloppini and quickly saute for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat.
To serve, layer the beef scaloppini and the onion mixture and repeat layers 1 more time. Ladle the broth from the onions over top as a sauce. Serve immediately.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.