- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 eggs 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper Salt and freshly ground black pepper 1 cup all-purpose flour 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice 1/3 cup dark brown sugar 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper flakes 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce Stormy Rice, recipe follows
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, pour in enough oil to fill the pot about a third of the way. Heat over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted into the oil reaches 350 degrees F.
Line a sheet tray with a wire cooling rack. Slice chicken into 2-inch pieces. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cayenne, salt and black pepper to taste. In a paper bag, shake together salt, pepper, flour and cornstarch. Dip the chicken in batches, first in egg mixture, then in the flour mixture and shake to coat. Set on a wire rack and let sit 10 minutes. While chicken is resting, prepare sauce. In a large straight sided saute pan combine orange zest, orange juice, brown sugar, butter, hot pepper flakes and Worcestershire sauce. Stir, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Carefully place chicken in hot oil and fry until golden and crispy, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to the saute pan with the sauce and toss until evenly coated. Remove to a serving platter and serve on Stormy Rice.
- Inactive Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 cup white rice, rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth 1/4 cup slightly crushed peanuts
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and rice and saute 4 minutes, stirring, so that the rice toasts and the garlic cooks. Add the chicken broth to the rice mixture, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered another 5 minutes. Stir in the peanuts, scallions, and salt and pepper, to taste. Rice can be made 1 day ahead, then warmed and combined with other ingredients before serving.