Roasted Halved Chicken with Garlic-Herb Paste
- For the Garlic-Herb Paste:
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 lemon, zested
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for pans
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (3 to 4-pound) chicken, skin-on, backbone removed and halved
- Special equipment: 2 large cast iron skillets
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Rub chicken with Garlic-Herb Paste. Let marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
Coat a large cast iron skillet lightly with olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Oil the bottom of a second cast iron skillet, of equal or smaller size.
Put the chicken, skin side down, in first pan, and top it with the second pan, oiled-side down on top of the chicken. If you don't have a second cast iron skillet, use a regular pan and weigh it down with 2 heavy cans. Sear chicken until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove top skillet, flip the chicken and transfer to the oven. Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and serve.
Recipe courtesy Sunny Anderson, 2009