- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Essence, plus 1 tablespoon
- 16 freshly shucked oysters, about 1 pint, drained
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
Combine the masa harina and flour with the remaining Essence in a shallow dish.
In a deep-fryer or a medium, heavy pot with high sides, heat the oil to 360 degrees F.
Dredge the oysters in the flour mixture and shake the pieces in a strainer to remove any excess. Carefully add to the hot oil in batches, and cook, turning occasionally, until golden on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the oysters with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towels, and serve immediately.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
- Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
- Published by William Morrow, 1993.