Bacon Cake with Citrus Salad
- 1 pound cooked bacon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups fresh baby arugula greens
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 orange, segmented and juiced
- 1 lemon, segmented and juiced
- 1 lime, segmented and juiced
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon ground star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
In a food processor, combine the bacon, cilantro, thyme, and sage. Pulse the mixture until finely minced. Turn the mixture out into a large bowl and add the egg. Mix thoroughly. Add the flour and mix thoroughly. Form the mixture into 4 equally portioned patty-shaped cakes. Pour the bread crumbs onto a plate and dip the cakes in pressing lightly to coat with bread crumbs. Coat the patties with bread crumbs on all sides.
In a large saute pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place the cakes in hot oil and cook until deep brown in color. Flip and cook the other side. Drain the cakes on paper towel.
In a mixing bowl, combine the arugula, red onion, orange segments and juice, lemon segments and juice, lime segments and juice, basil, star anise, and salt. Toss lightly to combine. Serve each warm bacon cake with citrus salad on the side.
Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Tom Pizzica