Tortilla Fried Queso Catfish
- 1 1/4 ounces lemon juice
- 1/2 -ounce hot sauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 (5-ounce) catfish fillets
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups corn tortilla flakes
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 9 ounces prepared chile con queso
- 3 ounces prepared pico de gallo
- 6 lime wedges
Whisk the lemon juice, hot sauce, salt, and pepper together in a shallow bowl. Dip each catfish fillet in the lemon juice mixture. Dredge catfish in seasoned flour, followed by buttermilk, and then corn tortilla flakes to coat completely.
Pour oil into a large, deep saute pan until it comes about halfway up the sides of the pan. Heat oil to 350 degrees F. When oil is hot, carefully add fish fillets to pan, in batches if necessary, and deep-fry until golden brown, about 10 minutes total. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
Place 1 1/2 ounces of queso on each of 6 plates and top with the fried catfish. Place 1/2-ounce of pico de gallo on top of the catfish. Garnish with a lime wedge and serve.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.