- Peanut oil, for frying (about 1 1/2 quarts)
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 7 -ounce can diced jalapeno peppers, drained (or 6 fresh jalapenos, seeded if desired, and diced)
- 1 15 -ounce can creamed corn
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
Combine the cornmeal, flour, onion, jalapenos, corn and eggs in a mixing bowl; stir until blended. Let stand 5 minutes.
Working in batches, drop the batter by teaspoonfuls into the hot oil. Don't overcrowd the pot; leave room for the hushpuppies to be turned. Cook until golden brown, turning, about 3 minutes.
Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while frying the remaining batter. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and transfer to a serving dish. Serve with hot sauce.
If you can't find self-rising cornmeal, use 1 1/4 cups plus 2 1/2 tablespoons regular cornmeal, 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.