Old- Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup butter (11 tablespoons), cold and cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 pints fresh strawberries
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk until fully combined. Gradually stir the egg and milk mixture into the flour mixture. Knead the dough for no more than a minute on a lightly floured board. Pat half the dough into each cake pan. Brush the surfaces with the melted butter. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Turn the shortcake layers out onto cooling racks.
While the layers are cooling, wash the strawberries and remove the hulls. Reserve a few berries for garnish. Cut the large berries in half and sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup sugar. Let stand for about 30 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood (c) Clarkson Potter 2010