Tropical Fruit Brulee
- 1 (2-inch) piece gingerroot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 Hawaiian golden pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 ripe Champagne mangoes, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 baby bananas, peeled and cut in 1/2
- 2 kiwi, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 box gooseberries
- 2 sprigs mint, leaves only and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh pomegranate juice (from 1 11-ounce pomegranate)
- 12 sable Bretons
Wrap the ginger in a layer of cheesecloth, gather, and tie into a little bag. Squeeze the ginger juice into a small dish (you will have about 1 1/2 teaspoons of juice). In a medium bowl and using a whisk, whip the heavy cream until medium peaks form, then add the ginger juice. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Rub together the vanilla bean seeds with 4 tablespoons sugar. Toss together the pineapple, mangoes, bananas, kiwi, gooseberries mint leaves, and vanilla sugar. Divide the fruit among 4 creme brulee dishes and gently press the fruit down. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar atop each dish and caramelize the sugar with a blowtorch; repeat the caramelization process with the remaining sugar. Spoon 1 tablespoon pomegranate juice around the fruit and serve immediately with the whipped cream and sables Bretons on the side.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.