Chicken Mole Poblano
- Mole sauce:
- 2 dried ancho chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 2 dried anaheim chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 2 dried chipotle chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup whole almonds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick, preferably Mexican, broken in pieces
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, preferably Mexican, chopped
- 1 capon or large chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Cooked white rice, for serving
For the mole: Tear the ancho, anaheim, and chipotle chiles into large pieces and toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat until they change color a bit, about 2 minutes. Put them into a bowl with the raisins and cover them with hot water. Soak unti softened, about 30 minutes. In the same skillet over medium heat, add the almonds, sesame seeds, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, oregano, and thyme. Toast for 2 minutes, grind in a spice grinder, and add the powder to a blender. In the same skillet over medium-high heat add the olive oil, onions, garlic, and serrano. Cook until lightly browned, then add the tomatoes. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 10 to 15 minutes, then add to the blender. Add the chocolate and the soaked chiles and raisins to the blender along with some of the chile soaking liquid. Puree, adding more soaking liquid as needed, to make a smooth sauce. (This makes about 4 cups sauce, the recipe uses 2 cups, the extra can be frozen).
Pour the lemon juice over the chicken and season it well with salt and pepper. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet and brown the chicken on all sides; remove the browned chicken to a plate leaving the oil in the pan. Pour 2 cups of the mole sauce into the hot skillet and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and return the chicken pieces to the pan. Simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, put the onion and radish slices into a bowl. Add the lime juice and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt. Mix well and serve with the chicken.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.