- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, plus extra, if you like, for spreading
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup chopped, blanched almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup raisins
- A handful fresh basil leaves, torn
- 8 slices good-quality, dense white bread such as Tuscan
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat the oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until smoking. Sprinkle the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Put them in the pan in a single layer, and brown them 2 minutes on each side. Put the skillet in the oven and roast until the chicken is just cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
Chop the cooled chicken and put it into a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
Spread 4 bread slices with mayonnaise, if you like, and spread with the curried chicken. Top with another slice of bread and serve.