Fresh Fried Corn Chips with Tomatillo Salsa
- Tomatillo Salsa:
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed
- 1 small Spanish onion, quartered
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 lime, juiced
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 12 corn tortillas
- Kosher salt
Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the tomatillos, jalapeno, onion, garlic, and 1 tablespoon salt. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 to 10 minutes until the tomatillos are soft but have not burst. Drain and reserve cooking liquid. Add the cooked vegetables to a blender with the cilantro leaves and lime juice. *Pour in 1/4 cup of the reserved cooking liquid and process to a coarse puree - be careful when you process the hot liquid as it will expand - so make sure you hold the lid down firmly. Taste and adjust seasoning with more cilantro, lime juice, or salt according to preference.
Prepare corn chips. Preheat oil to 375 degrees F. Cut tortillas into large wedges and deep- fry in batches until golden and crispy, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Season immediately with salt so it sticks and serve warm chips with tomatillo salsa.
* When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.