Grilled Leg of Lamb
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grilling
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) boneless leg of lamb, butterflied but not tied
- 2 cups mache or mixed baby greens
- 1/2 bunch mint, leaves only
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
DirectionsTo make the vinaigrette:
To a blender, add: the oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, thyme, lemon juice, and Dijon mustard, season with salt and pepper, to taste. Blend until thoroughly combined. Pat the lamb dry and put it on a shallow platter. Season all over with salt and pepper. Pour half of the vinaigrette over the lamb, turning the meat to get it well coated. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Remove the marinated meat from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before grilling.
Heat the grill (or large cast iron skillet) and oil it lightly. Remove the lamb from the marinade and grill for about 15 to 20 minutes per side for medium-rare. (Adjust the time accordingly for other degrees of doneness.) Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
Toss the mache (or mixed baby greens), mint leaves, and scallions in a bowl and dress the salad with about 3 tablespoons of the reserved vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper. Slice the lamb into thick slices and serve with greens.