Southwest Beef Tenderloin with Creamy Horseradish Sauce and Grilled Tomatoes
- Southwest Spice Mix:
- 2 ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 2 tablespoons whole cumin
- 2 tablespoons whole coriander
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated or prepared horseradish
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (4 pound) beef tenderloin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds tomatoes on the vine, cut in 1/2
- Arugula leaves, for garnish
Heat the grill to medium-high. Put the ancho chiles, cumin, coriander, cinnamon stick, and paprika into a small dry skillet, put the pan over the heat, and toast the spices just until they begin to smell, about 1 minute. Empty into a spice mill and grind to a powder; set aside.
1 tablespoon olive oil. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Drizzle some olive oil over the tenderloin and season it with salt and pepper. Sprinkle on about 1/2 of the spice mix and rub it into the meat. Grill for about 20 to 25 minutes for medium rare. Remove from the grill and allow the meat to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. Drizzle some olive oil over the tomatoes and season them with salt and pepper. Grill them for about 10 minutes.
Slice the tenderloin and place it onto a platter. Drizzle the horseradish sauce over the meat and scatter the tomatoes around. Garnish with arugula leaves and serve.
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
Recipe courtesy of Paul Young
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali