Spicy Thai-Flavor Soup
- Asian Chicken Stock:
- 1 (4-pound) free-range chicken
- Reserved shells from shrimp, see below
- 6 scallions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 stalk lemongrass, lightly smashed, or zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, sliced thick
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, fresh or frozen, or juice and skin of 1 lime
- 2 serrano chiles, halved lengthwise
- 1 recipe Asian Chicken Stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed
- 2 limes, juice and skins
- 4 serrano chiles, halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce, or more to taste
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, fresh or frozen, optional
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and sliced in 1/2 lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Thai basil leaves or regular basil leaves
For the stock: Put all the ingredients into a large pot and cover with water by 1-inch. Bring to a boil, skimming any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the chicken and save it for another meal; strain the stock. Makes 10 to 12 cups.
For the soup: Put the Asian Chicken Stock into a pot over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, limes, chiles, fish sauce, and kaffir lime leaves, if using. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt. Add the shrimp and simmer just until the shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes, then add the cilantro and basil leaves. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve garnished with cilantro leaves.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.