Teriyaki Chicken Wings With Sesame And Cilantro
- Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 fresh red chiles, halved
- 5 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 -inch piece fresh ginger, whacked open with the flat side of a knife
- Chicken Wings:
- 2 dozen chicken wings, about 31/4 pounds, rinsed and patted dry
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted, for garnish
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
Prepare the teriyaki sauce by combining the soy sauce, grapefruit juice, hoisin sauce, ketchup, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, chiles, garlic, and ginger in a pot. Bring to a slow boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Season the chicken wings generously with salt and pepper. Lay the chicken wings in a single layer on a sheet pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until the skin gets crispy. With tongs, dip the wings in the teriyaki sauce and return to the oven for 10 to 15 minutes to glaze. An impressive presentation is to serve these chicken wings family style; arrange them on a large platter, pour the remaining sauce over them and sprinkle with sesame seeds and cilantro. Don't forget the wet naps!
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence and JoAnn Cianciulli
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse