Vegetable Curry (with Chicken, if You Want)
Adapted From Food Network Kitchens
- Sara's Secrets
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 (3-inch) chunk peeled, fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon water, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 4 whole allspice
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 (3-inch) long cinnamon stick, broken in 1/2
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons Madras-style curry powder
- 1/2 jalapeno, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup whole, peeled, canned tomatoes (with puree), roughly chopped
- 8 cups mixed 1-inch-cut vegetables, such as cauliflower, potatoes, green beans, or eggplant
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- About 2 cups (1-inch cubed) cooked chicken, preferably thigh or leg (optional)
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Serving suggestion: Basmati rice and chutney
In a small food processor (mini-chopper), combine the garlic, ginger, and 1 tablespoon water and puree to a paste.
Heat the oil in a stew pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the coriander, cumin, cardamom, allspice, cloves, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf and cook, stirring constantly, until toasted and fragrant and the cinnamon stick unfurls, about 30 seconds. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic-ginger paste, curry powder, and jalapeno and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the tomato and cook, stirring, until the oil begin to separate and there is a distinctive crackling sound as the ingredients "re-fry" in the oil, about 6 minutes.
Add the vegetables, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Add the coconut milk and enough water to just cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, covered, until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon transfer the vegetables to a bowl. Bring the broth to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a sauce-like consistency. If using the chicken, add and reheat. Return the vegetables to the sauce and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a platter and garnish with the cilantro.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.