Vegetable Tortilla from Murcia
- 1 small Japanese or Chinese eggplant (about 6 ounces), peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, seeded, and diced
- 1 large ripe tomato (1/2 pound), peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 eggs
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the eggplant on a baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Bake 15 minutes, until softened and browned. Remove from the heat.
Heat the remaining oil over medium heat in a 10- or 12-inch nonstick skillet, and add the onion and green pepper. Cook, stirring, until they soften and begin to color, about 10 minutes. Add the eggplant and zucchini and cook, stirring, until the zucchini softens and begins to color, about 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the tomato, parsley, and salt to taste, and cook, stirring often, until the mixture begins to thicken, 3 to 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Preheat the broiler. Beat the eggs until frothy and season with a scant 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat in the pan to medium-high and pour in the eggs. Shake the pan and lift the edges of the eggs as they set, tilting the pan to distribute them and let them run underneath the mixture. When the eggs have just about set, transfer the pan to the preheated broiler, about 3 inches from the heat. Leave under the broiler until the top of the tortilla is set, then remove from the heat and allow to cool in the pan, then slide onto a plate or platter. Cut into wedges and serve.