Vietnamese Salad Rolls with Chicken, Shrimp and Beef
These are like unfried spring rolls and are quite fresh and delicious. Nuoc Cham is a tradtional South East Asian condiment that is served[ with the salad rolls.]
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 20 min
- 1 hr
- 20 min
- 8 servings
- 24 rice paper sheets (available in Chinatown)
- Nuoc Cham:
- 1 cup fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic
- 2 tablespoons lime
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon hoisin
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 small napa cabbage, fine chiffonade
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely julienned
- 2 red peppers, finely julienned
- 1 carrot, finely julienned
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons nuoc cham
- 4 ounces shredded chicken breast
- 4 ounces sliced beef sirloin tip
- 4 ounces coarsely chopped shrimp
- Traditional Garnish Platter:
- 12 to 16 small lettuce leaves
- 10 to 12 sprigs of mint
- 10 to 12 sprigs of cilantro
- 1 cucumber, cut into small spears
- 1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 10 to 12 chiles (preferably fresh Thai Bird)
- 10 to 12 lime wedges
DirectionsAssemble all ingredients and let stand in a bowl that it may be presented in later To Assemble and Serve:
Soak the rice papers a few at a time in hot water. Have a towel ready to work on and to take up some of the extra moisture.
Have your fillings ready and seasoned.
Roll a variety of salad rolls (some just chicken, just vegetable, some combos, etc.) until all filling and wrappers are used.
Arrange the garnishes on a platter along with the fresh salad rolls and the nuoc cham dipping sauce.
Tradition has it that the guests using a lettuce leaf as a cup will garnish his or her own salad roll as they choose and dip into nuoc cham.
Cut all vegetables carefully and mix with herbs. Wait to season with nuoc cham until you are ready to roll.
Brush chicken, beef and shrimp with marinade and cook, preferably on grill. Cool after grilling.
Cut chicken, beef and shrimp into desired size and toss with any leftover marinade to season.